Saturday, June 16, 2012

NO other gods!

I just started the new book we're reading for life groups these next 8 weeks. It is going to be amazing, the very first lesson was so insightful. I can't wait to drive into it. Two things I really took away from the 1st day had to do with idols... no shocker there i'll assume if you paid any attention to the tile of this entry. 

first, I knew what an idol was but I hadn't thought about it to the extent of how much you'd give up for another human being and how if you are willing to do anything for them that it could be sinful you could be making that person an idol of your heart. 
second, I realized I'm usually in denial about this issue. I rub it off my shoulder and say I don't struggle with having "other gods before" the One true God.

Friends of mine have said that they have been struggling with arriving to a point were you've achieved a goal and you've passed certain steps to get to this place were you don't struggle with sinning anymore or at least you don't struggle as much. And I would say I struggle with feeling this way as well, but the truth of the matter is we really never will arrive and attain that perfection. We are supposed to strive to be like Christ but when we make being perfect an idol of our heart our motives have changed and it doesn't matter if we do the right thing because the desire of our heart was just to do a perfect job at it or to prove we know what is right to do. 

I have a good feeling about this study and I can't wait to blog all about it. I can't wait to see what the Lord is going to teach me through it. 

until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment