Monday, July 9, 2012

two decades old!


ladies and gents..
I’m turning 20 in 2 days.
I can't believe I’m ditching the 1. 
what in the world. 
Have I really lived  2 decades?
So many memories wrapped up into 2 words: two decades.
I can't even begin to remember everything, what will I remember when I'm 60? 

Nineteen has to be the most awkward age. I don’t mean in terms of physical appearance or puberty.  I'm talking about answering the question: “how old are you?”  It’s just kind of embarrassing to have to say, “I’m nineteen.”  People don’t know what to do with you. You’re still a teenager, which means you absolutely can’t be taken seriously.  However, you have been an adult since you turned 18.  It's frustrating. Most people would say that nothing really changes when you turn 20, because everyone is looking forward to just being 21, but not this lady. I’m rather excited to be turning 20, because I don’t plan on drinking anyways I could careless, turning 20 means a new chapter of my life.

turning twenty, with concerns beyond number.

I'm literally 2 days away from turning 20, and I still don't know how to change a tire or start the grill. I can barely cook or sew. I understand very little about (government and politics.) I don't know CPR.  And  I can't imagine giving birth in less than 5 years.


what I am trying to grasp hold of as I turn 20:
  • Stay out of debt, Live within your means, Start saving NOW.
  • Don't burn down bridges (grudges achieve very little)
  • YOU HAVE TIME TO FIND A JOB YOU LOVE; it takes about 10 years after graduation or college to find the right fit, and anyone who finds it earlier than that is just plain lucky. So use every bit of your 10 years: try things, take classes, start over. 
  • DON’T RUSH DATING AND MARRIAGE
    Some people view marriage as the next step to happiness or grown-up life or some kind of legitimacy, and in their mad desire to be married, they overlook significant issues in the relationship.
  • Seek out a MENTOR and get counsel; Counseling—time with a mentor, personal scriptural study, a small group experience and outside reading—can help you grow, and can help you connect more deeply with God.
  • DON’T GET STUCK; don't stay in jobs you hate, because you're too scared to get another one. Don't get into relationships because you fear being lonely. ask yourself questions “Am I proud of the life I’m living? What have I tried this month? What have I learned about God this year? What parts of my childhood faith am I leaving behind, and what parts am I choosing to keep? Do the people I’m spending time with give me life, or make me feel small? Is there any brokenness in my life that’s keeping me from moving forward?”
try to 
EMBRACE IT.


No comments:

Post a Comment